From product shots in online stores to news photos, we created imgix to optimize images for the fastest possible page loads and the highest quality, in any browser, on any device, everywhere in the world.
We are launching the Video API to help you process, optimize, and deliver your streaming videos. Our vision is to give you a single, end-to-end visual media solution for all your images and videos.
Why it is important to optimize your video streaming
Your site visitors want an easy and immersive experience whether they’re shopping or scanning news. 9 out of 10 consumers said they wanted to see more videos from brands and businesses. Your inventory of video content may be steadily increasing and managing it may be getting increasingly challenging.
If you have a home-grown video processing solution or streaming unprocessed videos directly from your storage, you might be concerned about:
- The user experience: Is your streaming optimized using the HLS protocol with adaptive bitrate streaming?
- Branding: Do you have full control over how your videos appear on host sites?
- Analytics: Are you collecting adequate performance data?
- Transformation: Are videos adapted for different devices, browsers, and user environments?
What the imgix Video API offers
To optimize and ease the management of all your visual media, we will make video processing a core offering of imgix. In the limited release, we are including some of the most frequently requested features:
- Streaming with an Adaptive Bitrate enabled protocol: HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), the standard in video-on-demand (VOD) streaming.
- API-based encoding (compression), transcoding (format conversion), and video ingestion from virtually any format including MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, WEBM, H.264, and MPEG-4.
- An integration with Amazon S3 or Google Cloud Storage that lets you store, manage, and process both images and videos in your existing repository.
- A management dashboard that lets you visualize and organize all your video and image content.
- Dashboard with analytics such as the number and the minutes of videos encoded and delivered.
In future releases, we plan to add additional video transformations, easy UI features, video player recommendations, as well as deeper analytics. We look forward to providing you with video management, hosting, and streaming that’s as easy and flexible as our industry-leading Image API.
How to get started
The Video API is now available to Enterprise Plan customers. If you are a current Enterprise Customer, you can reach out to your Account Manager to enable Video API. If you are not a current Enterprise Customer, but you want to learn more or get a demo, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.